August 18, 2011

Playing With Bicycles

Most of my time is spent playing with bicycles. Riding bikes, selling bike crap, blogging rides, bike club volunteering, attending bike network group events, planning my next bike purchase. Am I over-focused? Fixated, even?

This lady, Ranger Madeleine, decided to be a forest ranger when she was eleven, although she didn't make it happen until recently.
My answer to "what do you want to be when you grow up?" was "win the Tour de France". That's a bit out of reach, especially considering my gender, but isn't bike stuff what I wanted to do when I was eleven?

These questions haunt me and plant doubt in my belly, until the weather pokes a gentle reminder at me. Last night as the air chilled and wind swept in, even though it's still summer, I actually started wondering what to be for Halloween.

I suppose, like death, the threat of winter is always on the horizon.

Conclusion? RIDE! Ride. Ride more. Our warm, dry rides are numbered, like our days.




No comments:

Post a Comment