March 22, 2012

Pretty

(Fourteenth in a series of stories about every bike I've ever owned.)
The jewel of my collection, this steel road bike set me back a mere $500. It was hand made in Italy and equipped with the original Campagnolo Valentino group set.

This bike was powder coated pink for me. There are seven little hearts carved into the lug work and I handpainted those white. It's a relatively fast little ride (with some effort), but mostly just beautiful to look at and sit on. I've put over 7000 miles on it in the five years I've had it.

I did have to change out the brake calipers from old Modolos (which I think means "to modify speed" instead of to stop!). Unfortunately, I didn't spring for Campy calipers but put on Shimano 105s instead. One day when I'm awash in spare cash, I'll replace them.

It's currently sporting the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires, in pink, which have turned out to be excellent performers. They are smooth and quiet and grip the road in the wet. Speaking of which, it used to be that I wouldn't even think of taking this bike out in the wet, but I've made a recent reversal on that theory. I'm even considering using it for a Randonneur ride.

1 comment: