November 3, 2018

AF

I came in third place on today’s ride, which was not a race. Of the three of us, I was wearing the least amount of pink.  The 2011 Verboort Populaire was my first rando ride. 7 years later, I see a Verboort ride on the team schedule, so naturally I feel I must go.

Maybe it’s the perimenopause and hot flashes, or maybe I was overdressed. I just couldn’t get comfortable.My outer rain tights, which have served for many years, suddenly lost their elasticity. Standing on the pedals because the tush to droop down, causing a risk of catching on the saddle.

The other riders rode away. I pedaled and panted, I chased unsuccessfully. This other riders courteously waited for me many times. Although the terrain was beautiful, the company fun, and the distance manageable, I will simply having a lousy day in the saddle. They say that a lousy day and the saddle it’s still a good day.

A man in a station wagon stopped and even reversed, tapping his horn. I circled back and said hello. He asked if we knew the road would soon turn to dirt, to which I replied "yay!". He then explained he wanted to warn us that logging trucks used it and it was quite a mess.
Dixon Mill Road would be more aptly named if it were called Dixon Hill Road. The pavement didn’t and turn to a nice hard packed dirt surface. At the top of a climb, which Stacy said was the top, we discussed if the man in the station wagon would’ve warned us if we had been men.

The best part of the ride came next. Pavement returned and took us on a beautifully scooping descent. Then we climbed again. Stacy and Hazel were at the top of the next hill waiting for me again. Stacy proclaimed that now we actually were at the top.

Another beautiful downhill led us to yet another stuff uphill. I was practically chafed from taking my layers on and off, on and off. I declared these descents should be called Stacy descents. In any case, we finally returned to the huge grassy Maddow where we had parked, along with a few hundred other sausage festival attendees. We headed over to the snack tent and enjoyed delicious sausages while listening to bingo.

I saw some Rando friends, including Graham who had recently volunteered to take over managing two of my 200k permanent routes.

No comments:

Post a Comment