June 24, 2024

Bike Fun Ain't Free

Creating bike fun for our community is the one of best parts of my life.  Meeting like-minded cyclists to go have fun adventuring on bikes together is a dream come true for me and I'm so grateful to anyone who's ever shown up for a Bicycle Kitty ride.

Leading rides is almost free!  As a chronic ride leader, I do accumulate a few expenses: 

- I pay for a premium Ride With GPS subscription so I may add Points of Interest to my routes and share them with riders.

- I make spoke cards for many of my rides and there's some material expenses with those.

- French Toast ingredients are inexpensive but not free.

- Anyone who comes on any of my rides gets a Bicycle Kitty sticker.  

- Anyone attending a hill killerz ride gets a hill killerz sticker.

- I make BumEase sitting pillows as prizes for alley cat races and often purchase or collect donated prizes for those events too. (Please get in touch if you have a prize to donate to the July 13th Bicycle Kitty Alley Catty!)

The reason I'm talking about money here is only vaguely related to money.  What I really want to talk about is the way our community bolsters me.

I've received donations from private individuals to fund the above expenses.  I've received a couple of stipends from the Adventure Cycling Association to create bike overnights.  And, most recently, I received a nice "micro grant" from local rad advocacy (radvocacy!) group, BikeLoud PDX.  

Receiving this kind of support doesn't just soften those expenses for me.  It makes me feel validated as a bike fun curator.  It makes me feel seen in a way that is very meaningful to me.

If you have ever enjoyed one of the rides I lead, I encourage you to support these organizations however you see fit.  For BikeLoud PDX, it can be as easy as signing up for their email newsletter: https://bikeloudpdx.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment