December 30, 2011

Starzan

(Eighth in a series of stories about every bike I've ever owned.)


I started to become a little more serious about riding, so I decided to upgrade from my heavy one speed cruiser to a multi-speed hybrid. I painted it with sparkly silver nail polish, composed a song for it and mounted two bells for accompaniment. ...Staaar-zaaan, take me to the moon...

After working as Volunteer Coordinator for the Cycle Messenger World Championships in San Francisco, I was invited to compete in the following year's race in Barcelona. I took this bike with me and won the prize for best dressed - the trophy still adorns my book shelf.

Competing in these races was the impetus behind quitting my regular job and becoming a full time messenger. But not on this bike - I sold it to a lady from Craig's List who was moving to a farm in Oregon and promised to "give it a good home". I live in Oregon now and constantly have my eye out for old Starzan.

No comments:

Post a Comment